Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Get to know Peter Baergen


We asked Peter 10 Questions 


Peter Baergen first got involved with Generation Joshua in 2012 and has been involved with GenJ Clubs and Student Action Teams. In 2014, he received GenJ's Future of America Leadership Award. Peter is currently interning with Generation Joshua remotely from his home state of Michigan while enrolled in Liberty University Online and staying active with local campaigns.

 

1. What was your first job?

My first "official job" was helping run a State Board of Education campaign in Michigan. Prior to that, I had the opportunity to intern for both Students for Life of Michigan and the Michigan Republican Party, and learned a tremendous amount from each one of these opportunities. Never underestimate the value of internships, especially if you can do them early on.

2. What book are you currently reading?

Right now, actually, I've temporarily put my reading list aside due to school and other projects, and I'm just reading through the book of Proverbs. I've read Proverbs several times over before, but it never ceases to amaze me how many little bits of wisdom I find each time I read it that hadn't previously caught my eye. Previously, I recently finished No Fear by Tony Perkins, a collection of stories about young Christians who are standing up for God's truth each and every day across America.

3.  What is your dream vacation destination?

I love traveling, so any variety of places could come to mind at any moment... I would love to go back to Washington State. From the Hoh Rainforest and Mount Saint Helens to the Pacific coast and Columbia River gorge, the place is absolutely beautiful.


4. Where are you most likely to be seen dining when you want a great meal?

Probably Los Tres Amigos, a Michigan-based Mexican chain. The fajita nachos are the best. But you just can't beat my mom's tuna casserole.


5. What is your favorite professional sports team?

Excellent question—I was the guy who was researching Senate Bill 50 during the Super Bowl. If you'd asked me 12 or 13 years ago, I probably would have said the Detroit Pistons, so we'll go with that.


6. What is one way you have seen serious growth in your faith as an adult?

Over the past couple years, God has been teaching me about trust. I don't have all the answers, education doesn't teach you the answers, and you definitely don't find many good answers to life's questions in the political arena. God's the only one who has the answers, and I've been learning to trust Him to show me His will step by step, at the right time, in the right way.


7. What’s the most impacting story you read/watched in your youth?

That's definitely a tough one, but I'd have to say Nate Saint and the four other missionaries that were murdered as they were trying to bring the Gospel message to the Waoroni (Auca) tribe in Ecuador. Most people associate this story first and foremost with Jim Elliot, but as a kid who was very interested in aviation, I read several books about Nate Saint and his family. I was deeply impressed by the way he took a "secular" passion and turned it into an opportunity to minister. If your reading list could use an addition, I highly recommend Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador by Russell T. Hitt.


8. What motivates you to continue when life gets crazy?

The hope I have in Jesus Christ. No matter what comes, I know that He works all things together for good, to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).


9. What were you most surprised about when you started serving with Generation Joshua?

The biggest thing (and there are many things) that has impressed me about GenJ is how open and accessible the team is to students—always ready to answer a question, listen to a concern, or just talk. That's not something you find in many organizations, especially not when they have tens of thousands of members/alumni and a core staff of half a dozen people.


10. What’s one piece of advice that has helped shape the course of your life?

In 1 Timothy 4:12, Paul writes to Timothy reminding him that while he is young, he can and should still be setting a Christ-like example. "Let no man despise thy youth," Paul writes, "but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."



Want to stay in touch? Follow Peter on Facebook and Twitter.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment