Monday, February 8, 2016

Get to know Daniel Thetford

We asked Daniel 10 Questions


Daniel first got involved with Generation Joshua in High School when he and some classmates started a Generation Joshua Club in Charlotte. Since then Daniel has always enjoyed politics and government. He is currently studying American Politics and Policy at Patrick Henry College. His passion is to seek The Lord, Justice, and Truth, and to see the nation around him do the same.


1. What was your first job?

The first official job I had was at Bojangles, a fantastic southern style fast food restaurant. I had a variety of duties there, but my biggest responsibility was getting up to make all of the restaurants’ biscuits, chicken, and sweet tea before customers came in for breakfast. It was a stressful job, but I enjoyed it.

2. What book are you currently reading?

Right now I am in the middle of C.S Lewis’ ‘Till We Have Faces and Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy.

3. What is your dream vacation destination?

One of our history professor’s at Patrick Henry takes students on a trip to Rome most years. I would absolutely love to go sometime and take in all the history, sights, and gelato I can.

4. Where are you most likely to be seen dining when you want a great meal?

Definitely a Japanese steakhouse. Steak is the best. Japanese food is the best. It’s pretty much the best of both worlds.

5. What is your favorite professional sports team?

I have been a Carolina Panthers fan all my life. The Panthers had their inaugural season the same year I was born in North Carolina, so we go back a long way.

6. What is one way you have seen serious growth in your faith as an adult?

I think the biggest way I have seen growth in my faith has been in trying to build character as I live and relate to other people. No one can teach you how to build character, no one can force you to have a good heart and be full of virtue. In High School, I learned a lot about The Lord and theology, but that knowledge made me proud, and it didn’t change the way I lived and treated other people. As an adult, I have been slowly learning how to take the things I have learned, and live them out with practical wisdom and virtue.

7. What’s the most impacting story you read/watched in your youth?

The true story of John Quincy Adams has had a huge impact on me. After he served as President, he served in the House of Representatives. He was burdened by the evil of slavery in the country and he worked long and hard to end the practice for 17 years. He died in 1848 long before the end of slavery of slavery in America. Is that depressing? I don’t think so, I think he had a special kind of heroism because he fought for what he knew was right even though he knew there was no chance of success in his lifetime. That’s a quality I want to emulate.

8. What motivates you to continue when life gets crazy?

I know that my God gives me grace when I can’t do everything. I also have so many good people around me that keep going when things get tough.

9. What were you most surprised about when you started serving with Generation Joshua?

Honestly, I was just surprised how small it is. When I was in High School I assumed GenJ was some massive organization because there were camps and clubs across the country. I was surprised to find just a small tight-knit office.

10. What’s one piece of advice that has helped shape the course of your life?

There are a lot of wise people who given me great advice, but if I had to pick one thing it would be to find your duty and do it. It’s the simplest yet most complex and difficult thing we will ever do. God has purpose and duty for everyone. Ultimately the only thing that will ever leave you satisfied and happy is the assurance that you are following your calling. For some people their duty is within their profession, for others, it’s outside of their formal work. Either way, it’s up to us discover what we are supposed to do with our lives, and do it. Everything else is a meaningless distraction.

Want to learn more? Follow Daniel on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment