Thursday, April 12, 2012

When good enough isn't good enough.




I seem to have run into this a lot recently.

“It’s good enough,” 

“We don’t have time to make it better, it’s good enough.” 

“Don’t worry it doesn’t need to be perfect, it’s good enough.”

Or as I grew up hearing, “It’s good enough for government work!”  

In order to offend people evenly I’ll just say that I’ve heard it almost everywhere, and that definitely includes the voices in my head!

Thankfully that was not something I heard from my parents. They worked very hard to teach me otherwise, but it was something that was prevalent enough in my culture that I kind of adopted it as my standard in life.

My school work was good enough; my quiet time was good enough; my life was good enough.  In fact, it seemed like I was destined to settle for “good enough” instead of great.

If you had asked me then what my goals in life were I would have given you a long list of lofty things I wanted to do. The problem was that if you had looked at my life then you would have seen that I had done very little to accomplish these goals.  Some of those goals are still true today, but the way I go about them has significantly changed.

God and I had a conversation. Like most of my conversations with God is was a bit one sided. God was very focused in the lesson He had for me to learn, and in this case He used a 2x4 found in Proverbs 22:29.

“Do you see a man who excels in his work?
He will stand before kings;
He will not stand before unknown men.”

You see, I had a problem (one that my laziness wouldn’t recognize). I wanted to do great things for God, but I was unwilling to work hard to achieve those goals.  It wasn’t that my motivation was wrong. God had confronted me on my love for power and personal recognition earlier. The problem now was that I just wasn’t willing to work hard.

Thankfully He has changed the way I evaluate myself and I can see progress in my life (granted I know I have a long way to go).  

We must remember to live our life in such a way that our actions bring honor to Him.  We should not be perfectionist, always convinced that nothing is ever perfect. But when we make it a habit of only doing “good enough,” we don’t strive to do our best or bring God honor.

The painful fact is that I have a lot of work to do, but by God’s grace I am progressing.  We must ensure that what we do is the best we are able.  If God has made us new creatures that we should reflect the perfect God who made us.

Hebrews 6:9-12:
 But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner.  For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.  And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end,  that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.


Follow Joel at

2 comments:

  1. "The painful fact is that I have a lot of work to do, but by God’s grace I am progressing."

    Yes, you are - in measurable ways. Recently you have begun to show thru your actions what I know is in your heart. Servant leadership with your family and putting mine and David's needs and even desires above your own comfort. I am proud to have you for a husband!
    <3 C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Sometimes I am told that what I did was good enough to squeak by on a test or something. But I want to do great not good! Thanks for the message. I needed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete