Friday, September 3, 2010

A note about Facebook (and other social media)

by Jeremiah Lorrig on Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 1:12pm

[Generation Joshua Friend],



It is good to hear from you. I would like to hear your thoughts on the issue of whether or not it is wise for a young person interested in politics to use facebook.



I'll give you my basic thoughts on the issue of facebook, twitter, and myspace (tailored for people interested in joining the political arena):



They are communication tools. Like the phone, email, or two-way radio. They can be used wisely or foolishly.



I don't like My Space. I never use it. But I have one. I don't recommend it. To function you have to spend time doing it and keep doing it.



I like facebook, and I use facebook for two things: 1). Keeping up with my family. They all use it and it allows me to follow what my cousins in Australia, my Aunt in Colorado, and my sister in Texas all at the same time and we all try to keep up there. In fact I have a "Family" setting on my facebook so only they have access to somethings. 2). as a place where I can communicate more publicly my ideas. I have connections from college, Generation Joshua, my Washington DC colleagues, and people I knew in the Political world in Colorado. They can see what I share on facebook and in my world of facebook I can make and communicate ideas. It also allows me to build a political base and communicate with them regularly. As long as you are not posting "I like McDonald's" on facebook and you focus on substance it will help you not hurt you (From a political standpoint).





Sarah Palin has built a political empire almost completely on facebook. It is a tool and she has used it very well. Facebook and twitter can also be used by famous people to show that they are normal just like other people. There are many ways to successfully use these tools.



On twitter: It is simple and doesn't allow for the personal connection of facebook. I have one and it is just tied to my facebook so, if I post to one, it goes to the other. So it is two for the price of one. John McCain uses twitter amazingly well to communicate with his constituents.





These are just my thoughts. It isn't for everyone, but it is a tool that can be used by good people to accomplish good.



If it is helpful to you, great! If not, forget it.



God bless,

Jeremiah



P.S. facebook is also the safest content wise. I've never had a problem with people contacting me who I didn't know.

P.P.S. I am glad you asked about this. I think I'll post most of my response on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment