Monday, April 12, 2010

Beltway Beat 1.9


I work in Washington DC advocating for homeschoolers across the U.S. The Beltway Beat is a semi-regular series of posts on the latest happenings in our nation’s capital.

Please send feedback to generationjoshua@hslda.org

I have been saying this for the last two years, but because it is in the news again,* I figured that I can say it again.

DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO A POLITICAL PARTY.

I happen to be a very active member of a political party whose platform reflects what I believe very well. I have loyally voted in caucuses and primaries. Given countless hours of my time campaigning for them. Given money to the causes and candidates of the party.

It must be said, however, that if you want to make a difference and be the most effective with your money, don't give it to the party. Give it directly to candidates who reflect your values. Give it to candidates who can use the help. If you don't know who can use the money ask a political junkie like me. There are people like me who study the elections and candidates.

If you don't know what candidate to give you money to and don't know someone like me, then give your money to a PAC (Political Action Committee) that supports issues that you care about. There are lots of them out there. (In fact I run one**, and love it.) There is one for every cause you can think of. Decide what is important to you and then find a PAC that deals with that issue (make sure that they are on the right side of the issue. hehe. funny story that I am not going to tell about that).

Anyway. Keep this in mind as this election year comes up.


*http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0310/Tony_Perkins_urges_conservatives_to_stop_giving_money_to_RNC.html

** http://www.hsldapac.org

Posted by J. Lorrig


No comments:

Post a Comment